The Alaska Kennel Club was organized September 8, 1947 by a group of dog lovers with two purposes in mind: first, to further the advancement of all purebred dogs; second, to conduct sanctioned matches and dog shows under the rules of the American Kennel Club.
To conduct regular licensed dog shows in which dogs receive points to their championship, the Alaska Kennel held two sanctioned matches within one year under the rules of the American Kennel Club. The first sanctioned match was judged by Mrs. Lillian Miller of Seattle WA on May 20th 1948. Eighty six dogs were entered with twenty seven breeds being represented. Best In Match was awarded to a black cocker spaniel named Warrior Bold of Ahnest-Lee”, owned by Major George T Young.
The second match was judged by Captain Will Judy, former Dog World owner-editor, on November 28th, 1948. Ninety three dogs were entered with thirty breeds being represented. Best In Match was awarded to a Doberman Pinscher named “Moxee of Von Kay”, owned by Frances L Wright.
Upon completing the American Kennel Club’s requirement, the Alaska Kennel Club was ready to hold its first licensed all breed dog show for championship points. This show was held August 7, 1949 at the Anchorage High School gym, now the City Hall Annex. Mr. William H Pym of Vancouver, B.C. presided over the one hundred sixty-six entrants, with twenty nine breeds being represented. Best In Show was awarded to a Golden Retriever named “Rockhaven Jack” owned by Haakon Christiansen.
The Alaska Kennel Club held one show annually until 1957 when the American Kennel Club granted the club to hold two shows annually. Now, we hold four licensed shows a year. We still hold the required matches required by the American Kennel Club. Through the 50 plus years, we have advanced a long way and credit is due to the Founders of this club and the ongoing dedication of club members and voluntary workers.